Tick Talk Issue 29“The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they can't find them, make them.” – George Shaw
Tracking Your Energy Investments
Many of us don't really know where our time and energy go because it is impossible to mentally track our activities. Imagine trying to manage money without a check register. Trying to track all of our financial transactions in our mind without records would be very frustrating, if not impossible. It is even more difficult to track our investment of energy and the activities upon which it is committed.
If we are to perform in the workplace at the levels required today, while balancing our lives, we must focus our energy on carefully selected activities. Tracking our activities for just one week is an eye-opening experience. It helps us recognize habits and trends. It will reveal to us how we minght change our method of operating to achieve better concentration of power.
Focusing on Activities
Focusing involves the ability to concentrate your undivided attention, your mental energy, on the achievement of your planned, and even your unplanned activities. This is accomplished by avoiding, or at least minimizning, distractions or interruptions except those that are truly urgent. Suggestions for focusing based on the experiences of workplace personnel fall into two categories: 1) Setting the Environment nad , 2) Avoiding Distractions.
Setting The Environment
- • Turn off the telephone, radio or other distrubances, when focusing is required
- • Make sure you have all the tools you need before you start
- • Unclutter your desk or work space and remove unrealted items
- • Close your door or create a private place where appropriate or necessary
- • Where appropriate, be direct and clear that you do not want to be interrupted
- • Adopt an attitude of self-responsibility for getting things done
- • Use an electronic or paper management tool
- • When everyone is clear about your focusing time they will learn to adapt accordingly